Monday, April 11, 2011

The Greatest Show on Earth

No I didn't go to the circus...I went to the National Capital Area Cake Show.  All I can say is WOW! It  really was the greatest show on earth.  Imagine a whole auditorium filled with cakes...if I close my eyes I can still smell the fondant...mmmmm!  They had live cake challenges just like we see on TLC and this year they had a cupcake challenge.  Sadly we were not able to watch any of the live competitions but we were able to look at all the cakes that were entered into the competition and try out a lot of the new tools and gadgets.  My dear husband was so patient as I looked at each cake and marveled at how perfectly they were decorated.  Even my 7 year old daughter, Sophie got into the action by being my official photographer.  She must have taken about 200+ photos - what a trooper! We went from booth to booth visiting with all the vendors and playing with all their tools & gadgets.  I could have easily spent $3k buying all the cool toys I saw. 

The highlight for me was meeting Julie Bashore who is one of my idols.  She has won several of the TLC cake challenges and had a booth at the show, giving live demos.  She was super super sweet and patiently answered all my novice decorator questions.  I really wanted to have my picture taken with her but I thought it might be a bit much.  we must have spent an hour at her booth. 

I think next year I'll take some of the classes they offer...and save up to buy some tools.  They really are significantly cheaper at these shows.  

So at the end of the day, just as we were about to leave, my husband says to me "So, what are you buying?" Really???? I can buy something?? I decided on Linda McClure's Silhouette machine.  It. Is. Awesome.  I'll write a review on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment