Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Burgers and Fries Please

Last month (ok maybe it's been a couple of months - and I forgot to post pictures!) someone turned me onto Bakerella's site (bakerella.com) and I saw the cupcake and cookie burger/fries she made which inspired me to make my own.  It just so happened that it was my cousin, Ray's big 40.  I thought it would be really cute to give these to him as a birthday present since he loooves junk food.  Surprisingly, they were very easy to make, much easier than cakes, actually.  I took Bakerella's idea and kind of made it my own by adding a few more veggies and condiments on the burger.

 










Our friend Virgil kinda came a little later and was hungry. When he saw the "burger and fries" he said "Man, this party is hooked up!" and took a big bite, not knowing they were cupcakes and cookies.  Needless to say we all had a big laugh.  For me it was really satisfying to hear that he thought they were burgers and fries.  It means I achieved my goal of making the cupcakes and cookies look like burgers and fries.

Sometimes when I'm really tired or if something about a cake frustrates me,  I ask myself why I put myself through the stress and hassle of making beautiful cakes or cupcakes.  At some point during a project I say to myself, this is the last time I'm doing this...(probably because I am such a perfectionist and I always try and challenge myself to learn a new technique or make something I've never done before.)  At the end of the day though, when I see the finished product and I see the smiles on the faces of the people I give my cakes to,  I feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that I only feel when designing cakes.   



Inevitably I hear the excited little voice inside my head asking "When's the next cake?"

No comments:

Post a Comment