Monday, April 11, 2011

Daisies make me SMILE

About a week ago we received some sad news.  My cousin's husband, Hector passed away.  He was too young, he was only 57 and at the prime of his life.  Hector was like a big brother to me.  He was the cool guy you always wanted to be around.  He was funny and he always had a smile on his face.  My husband and I idolized him.  He worked hard and he played hard.  He had a new luxury car every couple of years and he liked the finer things in life.  In spite of his love of luxury, he was the most down to earth and sensible guy I know.  I clearly remember some 15 odd years ago when I broke up with my first boyfriend.  Hector and my brother Alex were there to console me.  Hector came to our house and went to my room, took a framed picture of my ex and laid it on the dining room table - next to the bottle of Tequila he brought along.  That night I forgot all my worries and just remember laughing and laughing.  I also woke up next to the toilet bowl but that's a whole other story.  That was Hector though, he had the ability to make you laugh no matter what and make you feel like life is only as complicated as you make it to be. 

As is customary in my Catholic family, for 9 consecutive days after a relative passes away, friends and family gather each night to say a novena for the departed.  As fate would have it, my cousin, Aleth - Hector's wife's birthday fell on the 8th day of the novena.  I knew how devastated she was and couldn't imagine the pain she was going through.  I also didn't know what to say to her as I knew no words would console a broken heart.   I decided I would make her a cake.  A happy cake.  I knew it would not be enough to console her but I hoped it would at least bring a little joy amidst a very trying time. 


No thank you's were needed, no oohs and ahhs were expected.  I just wanted in my own little way to share with her how much I love her and how much we loved Hector. 

No comments:

Post a Comment